Mornings at Cornell start with the buzz of activity as I head to my engineering classes. As a junior in civil engineering, each day is packed with lectures, problem sets, and the occasional project meeting. It’s a challenging curriculum, but engaging and rooted in real-world problems.

When I’m not in class, you’ll likely find me at Olin Library. This isn’t just my go-to study spot; it’s where I piece together everything I’ve learned in class. The quiet focus of the library is the perfect contrast to the lively discussions that take place in the engineering quad.

After classes wrap up, my friend and I head to Noyes for a workout session. It’s the ideal way to decompress, and hitting the gym regularly is as much a part of my routine as attending lectures. It’s not just about staying fit; it’s about maintaining a healthy balance.

Cornell weekends are an essential break from the academic grind. I usually spend that time with my friends; watching movies, singing karaoke, or doing whatever we feel in the moment.

One of my favorite spots on campus is the Suspension Bridge. It’s a real-life example of what we study – a structure that combines functionality with aesthetics. I sometimes pause here, taking in the view and reflecting on why I chose to study civil engineering.

One of my favorite classes is Dynamics of Structures. It makes me appreciate the complexity of what we can build. And although it’s not an engineering course, my Economics for Engineers class has been equally influential, challenging me to think about the impact of our work on society.

Looking ahead to my senior year, I’m excited about what’s to come and thankful for the experiences I’ve had at Cornell. It’s been a place where I’ve grown academically and personally.

-Amida, civil engineering