Nexus is a unique project team, tackling one of the most pressing challenges in sustainability, microplastics. Specifically, we are working on developing a robot that can clean beaches autonomously, preventing waste from getting into the ocean. 

The 4 subteams, Electrical, Software, Mechanical, and Business, each play a key role in the operation of the team and are open to new members every recruitment cycle. I’m working on the software subteam where I’m getting a chance to work on obstacle avoidance and previously worked on testing. 

Specifically, I’m working with several other team members to deploy a YOLO computer vision model on our robot, which is housed in Ward along with the rest of our supplies

Some of the other projects on the software subteam are web development, developing the GUI and Ackerman steering/Kalman filters. There’s a project for everyone and a place to contribute.

Besides working on team commitments, which take about 6 hours/week, I love interacting with the other members of the team. We have regular socials and make sure to help each other in any way possible, including resume reviews and opportunities. On that note, the team is very collaborative, and there is always more than one person working on each project.  

I’m grateful for the opportunities I have with my team, and I hope to be able to do more and improve the final product as much as possible. Working on a large product (10,000+ lines of code) that has a real impact on the environment has been a really unique experience so far. 

Nexus follows the same recruitment timeline as the other project teams, we have fall applications due in last September and spring applications due in early February. We are very focused on developing the best robot we can and I’m really excited to be a part of Nexus. 

-Ahan Mishra, Computer Science